A greedy algorithm is an algorithm that at every step makes a move the seems "best" at that very instant. In this applet the "best" move is determined by:
- If in check will this get out of check?
- Will this put opponent into check?
- Will any pieces be in danger after move?
- Will any pieces be out of danger after move?
- Will any opponent pieces be captured?
- Will any opponent pieces be in danger after move?
- Will pawns progress to other side of board?
- Are pieces controlling center of board?
Notice that the algorithm is not away of checkmate, only that checking the opponent is good and getting out of check is good.
Most beginners can beat this algorithm.
Back to Programs